Spend six weeks in Finland with a host family and get to know Finnish culture! Scholarship recipients will embark on exciting activities that will strengthen leadership skills and inspire civic and global responsibility.
- Fifteen (15) scholarships will be awarded
- No previous language experience is required
- Finalists will be required to do an interview
- A selection committee of AFS staff and volunteers will review applications to select scholarship recipients
- Final awardees are subject to funder approval
- Round-trip airfare
- Lodging with a carefully selected host family
- Orientations and ongoing support throughout the program
- Enrichment leadership activities in Finland
- Joint activities with Finnish students, including a reception at the Finnish Embassy in DC
- Passport fees
- Visa fees (if necessary)
- Any excess luggage tariffs
- Required $25.00 overseas secondary travel insurance
- Students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Must be age 16-17 during the program (birthdates must be between (August 9, 2001 - June 29, 2003)
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Students must reside within the Washington D.C. Metro area including Charles, Calvert, Anne Arundel, Prince George's, Montgomery, Frederick, and St. Mary's Counties. Students from Hardy County in West Virginia are also eligible.
- No prior foreign language study is required
How to Apply:
- Complete the Finland-U.S. Future Leaders Scholarship application.
- Applicants are required to submit an essay responding to the questions "How do I contribute to creating a better world?" as part of the application.
- The essay length should be between 500 and 700 words.
- Be sure to follow all instructions in the application.
The deadline for the Finland-U.S. Future Scholarship application and essay is January 30, 2019.
Contact Information:For more information, please contact Amanda Dennen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1 (800) 876-2376, ext. 3310.
A selection committee of AFS staff and volunteers will review applications to select scholarship recipients. All applicants will be notified of their status (via email) in April. This program is funded by the EDUFI (Finnish National Agency for Education).