Spend six weeks in Finland with a host family and get to know Finnish culture from July 2 – August 13, 2021! Scholarship recipients will embark on exciting activities that will strengthen leadership skills and inspire civic and global responsibility.
Finland-U.S. Future Leaders Scholarship Details:
- Fifteen (15) finalists will be selected. Selected finalists will travel to Finland with finalists from summer 2020 who were deferred to summer 2021 due to COVID-19.
- No previous language experience is required
- Finalists will be required to participate in a virtual interview
- A selection committee of AFS staff and volunteers will review applications to select scholarship recipients
- Final awardees are subject to funder approval
- Round-trip airfare
- Lodging with a carefully selected host family
- Orientations and ongoing support throughout the program
- Enrichment leadership activities in Finland
- Joint activities with Finnish students, including a reception at the Finnish Embassy in Washington, DC
What you’re responsible for?
- Passport fees
- Visa fees (if necessary)
- Any excess luggage tariffs
- Required $25.00 overseas secondary travel insurance
- Students must have a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Must be age 16-17.5 during the program (birthdates must be between January 22, 2004 – June 22, 2005)
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Students must reside within the Washington D.C.-Baltimore-Northern Virginia area
- No prior foreign language study is required
- Applicants are required to submit an essay responding to the question “How do I contribute to creating a better world?” and a host family letter.
- These essays should not exceed 500 words.
- Be sure to follow all instructions in the application
The Finland-U.S. Future Leaders application is currently closed. The Summer 2022 application will launch in October 2021.
For more information, please contact Madeline Keating at [email protected] or call 646-751-2235.
A selection committee of AFS staff and volunteers will review applications to select scholarship recipients. All applicants will be notified of their status (via email) in April. This program is funded by the EDUFI (Finnish National Agency for Education) and the U.S. Embassy in Helsinki.