The Greater Los Angeles Area Team Scholarships are made possible by the generosity of volunteers, individual donors, and foundations in the Los Angeles area.
Scholarship Types: Needs-Based and Merit-Based
Scholarship Value: Ranges from partial to full scholarship(s)
Available Scholarships: Vary
Applicable Programs: Summer (4-8 weeks) and Year High School programs
Application Deadline: Rolling basis
Students must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Ages 15 -18 years old
- Scholarship awards are based on the economic needs of each individual student
- Submit a FAST application to determine if you qualify for financial assistance and consideration by the AFS Greater Los Angeles Scholarship Committee
- Submit a minimum one-page letter to the AFS Greater Los Angeles Scholarship Committee describing the following in detail:
- Why you want to be an AFS exchange student.
- How you will promote intercultural awareness upon your return from abroad.
- Describe any fundraising you have completed and/or plan to do for your program fee and expenses.
- Parents submit a letter indicating why they feel their child deserves a scholarship
- Submit both letters (PDF Format) to [email protected]
- Scholarship recipients agree to become an AFS registered volunteer and to work with the AFS volunteers to “pay it forward” by helping with future fundraising projects that help additional students travel abroad through AFS
Recipients and the amount of each local scholarship are decided by the AFS Greater Los Angeles Scholarship Committee. Please note that all applicants are not guaranteed funding. Scholarship applications are evaluated as they are received.
To apply to scholarship(s), please start or login into your AFS application!
Please contact [email protected] for additional information.