The Yoshi Hattori Memorial Scholarship application for 2023 has closed.
The Yoshi Hattori scholarship is a full, merit, and need-based scholarship designed to promote intercultural understanding and peace. Created in memory of Yoshi Hattori, a beloved AFS Exchange Student to the U.S. from Japan, this scholarship offers the opportunity to strengthen meaningful connections between the U.S. and Japan through AFS-USA’s Flagship Program.
Scholarship Reward: Merit and need-based
Scholarship Value: Full-scholarship
Available Scholarships: One (1) award
Applicable Programs: This scholarship is only available for our Japan High School Year programs that depart in March of each year.
Japanese Language Experience: No previous language experience is required.
Students must meet the following eligibility requirements. All Yoshi Hattori Memorial scholarship and program application requirements are due for scholarship consideration:
- Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Thoughtful submission of a series of scholarship essay questions.
- Semi-finalists will be required to participate in an online interview.
- Applicants must qualify for need-based assistance. Applicants/Families informed of Semi-Finalist status are required to submit financial documentation for scholarship consideration. Families who typically qualify have household incomes of $85,000 or less, though some extenuating circumstances can be considered.
- To be considered for this scholarship, applicants will need to complete the full AFS application (including paying the AFS Program Deposit), and have their application accepted by our partners at AFS-Japan.
Scholarships questions? Contact the Scholarship Team at [email protected].