What is the YES Abroad Scholarship?
The YES Abroad program offers full scholarships for American high school students to study for one academic year in select countries with significant Muslim populations.
First authorized by the U.S. Congress in the aftermath of September 11th, 2001, the YES program seeks to increase mutual understanding between the U.S. and countries with significant Muslim populations. In 2007, the YES program was expanded to include YES Abroad, giving American high school students the opportunity to live and study abroad in a YES partner country.
The YES program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
The 2018-19 YES Abroad scholarship application is open through 11:59PM Pacific on Tuesday, December 5, 2017. Learn more and start an application on the scholarship's website: www.yes-abroad.org!
What does YES Abroad offer?
- Full merit-based scholarships to study for one academic year in countries that currently include: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Macedonia, Malaysia, Morocco, Philippines, Senegal, Thailand, and Turkey. The U.S. Department of State reserves the right to amend the YES Abroad country list at any time.
- Host family and high school experiences that help build mutual understanding between Americans and citizens of countries with significant Muslim populations
- Opportunities to explore religious diversity in non-Western cultures
What are the benefits of YES Abroad?
- Alumni networks through AFS and the U.S. Department of State to continue intercultural learning
- Springboards to other government sponsored programs and scholarships
- Connections to the larger network of YES students studying in the U.S. from roughly 40 countries
Am I eligible?
- Please see the YES Abroad website for eligiblity requirements.
How are winners selected?
- YES Abroad staff and volunteers screen applications and select finalists based on their demonstrated qualities
- Applicants are interviewed by volunteers and staff between December and February
- Scholarship finalists are announced in the spring