Submitted by: Mia V.
Recipe Source Country: Macedonia
Cooking/Prep time: > 1 hr
Tavche bean is a traditional Macedonian specialty. It carries the spirit and history of our country.
- 500 grams of beans
- 1 onion
- 2 dried red peppers
- bay leaf
- red pepper
- black pepper
- buckwheat pepper
- dry mint
- 1. Beans are cleaned, washed and soaked in cold water for at least three hours (traditionally left overnight) to soften. Then wash again and put in a saucepan on medium heat with water to boil. After the first boil, pour the water, then put new water in the pot.
- 2. Put the peeled onion, dried peppers and bay leaf in the pot. Bring the beans to a boil until soft. If necessary, add water to the pot.
- 3. Take the onion out of the pot and mash it with a spoon.
- 4. Put 50 ml of oil in a pan on the fire to heat. Add the mashed onions to the heated oil and fry. Add the oil and onion to the pot and mix to combine the ingredients. Then add red pepper, salt, black pepper, buckwheat pepper, and dried mint to taste in the pot. Mix well to combine the ingredients.
- 5. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- 6. Put the beans in earthenware pans and put them in the preheated oven to bake for a short time, while a thin crust forms on the surface. Serve the finished bean pan while it is hot. Cheers!
The basic ingredients for preparing it are beans, onions, oil, dried red pepper, red and black pepper, salt. In different parts of Macedonia, others such as mint, parsley, garlic, bay leaf, and the like are added to these ingredients.