Here’s how you can create an International Diners Club in your area, or find out how to join one!
Description: Each month you choose a country and set a menu including a starter, entrée, sides, and a dessert. The idea is to learn about the culture and styles of cooking around the world. All recipes are made from scratch, including doughs, pasta, sauces, fillings, etc. People can choose to make as few or as many as they have the time for before a monthly call.
Everyone takes pictures of the dishes, and family members that helped. If they like, they can share the photos on social media, to build awareness of intercultural exchange and AFS. After, hop on a scheduled zoom call to discuss the experience and success of the dishes. On the call everyone votes on the next country, and it starts all over the following month.
Steps to start an International Diners Club with fellow volunteers or other groups of friends:
- Pick a country featured on this page
- Select a date for the Zoom call
- Create an online form for the registration
- Create an email invite, including the link to the recipes and a link to register for the Zoom call
- Check in once during the month to encourage participation (Sign up if you haven’t, be sure to post pics on Facebook, invite a friend, etc.)
- 24-48 hours before the time for the call, send an email with the Zoom link to the people that registered to join that call (If you are experiencing limited attendance, consider sending a reminder email with the link the day of the call, and a few hours before the meeting time, to ensure the Zoom link is at the top of their inbox.)
- When holding the call, you may want to use the menu as a discussion guide to move through the items, but once your group is more established you won’t feel the need to control the direction of the conversation
- Be sure to vote on the next country before ending the call. You can set up a poll in Zoom with the choices listed so it feels more anonymous
- If you’d rather join a pre-existing group, or need assistance setting up a new International Diners Club, contact [email protected].
Currently, we have recipes from a small group of countries, but we’ll be adding new countries’ recipes continually, so check back soon! You can also visit our Recipes from Around the World page for inspiration and to add your own! Click each link below to see the recipes and learn more about each country, its culinary practices, and history.