Global Leaders is our flagship need-based award program for students who are in need of financial assistance. As part of our commitment to make study abroad possible for all students, we encourage you to apply for a Global Leaders need-based award.
- Families who qualify typically have household incomes of $65,000 or less, though some extenuating circumstances can be considered. If you have questions about whether you should apply, get in touch with the scholarships team at email@example.com.
- The application process is done through the Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST) service; however, final award decisions are determined solely by AFS.
- The AFS scholarship review committee meets regularly to review FAST applications on a rolling basis.
- If you need help completing the FAST application during regular business hours, the team at AFS is happy to help. Call 1-800-AFS-INFO or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Outside of regular business hours, you can get in touch with FAST directly at 1-877-326-FAST. They're open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Select your state to see local offerings
How to Apply:
(Click each step to learn more).
1. Begin the process.
Start your application by selecting the country and program you're interested in. Contact us at 1-800-AFS-INFO if you need help getting started.
2. Submit a FAST application.
Click on the “FAST” button to the right to begin your FAST application ($41 fee payable by credit card at completion of application). Upon completion of your online FAST application, you will receive an email from FAST with detailed information about how to submit your supporting tax documents.
AFS-USA grants FAST fee waivers to families suffering from significant economic hardship. This includes the following extenuating circumstances:
- temporary loss of income or employment
- unexpected medical expenses
- recent death of a parent or guardian
- displacement or damage due to natural disaster
- loss of income due to long term disability
- currently on free or reduced lunch at high school
- currently receiving food stamps
If you wish to be considered for a FAST application fee waiver, please speak to a Study Abroad Specialist or a member of the scholarships team by calling 1-800-AFS-INFO.
3. Provide financial information.
After completing the FAST application you will be asked to submit tax documentation to FAST.
- 2014 Federal Tax Forms
- 2014 State Tax Forms
- 2014 W-2
- All appropriate schedules (for personal business, property, etc.), if appropriate
- Unemployment/disability/retirement income statements, if appropriate
Mail copies of your supporting tax documents to:
Attn: FAST Processing
1316 N. Union St.
Wilmington, DE 19806-2594
IMPORTANT! You must put “AFS-USA” on the front of the envelope under your return address. Faxed or emailed tax forms will not be accepted.
It typically takes FAST several days to verify the copies of your tax documents once they are received. When your FAST application has been verified, the AFS-USA scholarship committee will review the application and contact you with the results.