STEP 1: Visit the Denmark Embassy website to learn more about requirements
- Research the Denmark Embassy website for information about the Residence and Work Permit.
- Please note that you must go to the Consulate or Processing Center that serves your area to obtain biometrics. If you are not able to find information about obtaining biometrics, or if the information is not clear, contact the consulate via phone or email.
STEP 2: Collect the necessary documents required by the Consulate
- To help aid the process, AFS-USA has compiled a list documents that may be required and tips on how to collect them. If you are unclear on the requirements from your Consulate, we suggest that you collect all of the documents from our list, as sometimes required items are not listed on the Consulate’s website:
1. UNITED STATES PASSPORT+1 Color copy of the data page and all pages with stamps.
- There must be at least two blank pages for the visa in your passport. The visa is a stamp which the Consulate will affix to one of the free pages in your passport.
- Your passport must be signed in the space provided (Signature of Bearer) and valid for at least fifteen months beyond your stay.
2. APPLICATION FOR RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT FORM
- XG1 Residence and Work Permit Application – Please print and complete this application.
- The XG1 Application should be completed neatly with no errors. Please use black ink to complete the application.
- Please refer to the Sample Application for assistance in completing the XG1 Application.
- Please remember to sign your application.
3. PROCESSING FEE
- Verify the exact visa processing fee and payment method by contacting your Consulate.
4. FOUR (4) PASSPORT PHOTOGRAPHS
- Refer to our Passport Photo Requirements for specific instructions.
5. PROOF OF ADDITIONAL FUNDS
- You must provide an original bank statement in your (the participant) name that proves you have at least $830/month available to you – a total of at approx $9000 for the year program.
6. COPY OF YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE + 1 copy
- Provide a legible copy of your birth certificate.
7. NOTARIZED PARENTAL CONSENT FORM FOR STUDENTS UNDER 18
- Please use the AFS Denmark Parental Consent (pdf)
- ALL legal guardians must sign this document. Read “Who Needs To Sign?” for exceptions.
- The consent form must be notarized by a Notary Public.
8. PARENTAL/GUARDIAN IDS FOR STUDENTS UNDER 18
- Please make a photocopy of the ID (Passport preferred, driver’s license or other government-issued ID usually accepted) of each parent/guardian that signs the Parental Consent Form.
- Staple this copy to the Parental Consent Form.
9. RECEIPT THAT BIOMETRICS HAVE BEEN OBTAINED
- You will receive a receipt from your jurisdictional Consulate or Processing Center after your biometrics have been obtained.
- Please include this receipt with your Residence Permit Application.
10. Pre-paid, self-addressed RETURN ENVELOPE (Express mail, Federal Express, or D.H.L.)
- This is required for the New York Consulate to send your passport and permit back to you.
- Please use US Postal Service Express or FedEx.
STEP 3: Wait for AFS to mail you additional documents
- AFS Denmark Letter of Invitation
- AFS USA Proof of Insurance
- AFS USA Letter of Acceptance and Financial Responsibility
STEP 4: Submit your documents to Consulate in NY
- Before mailing the consulate your documents, please double-check that you have your passport and all of the required forms, documents, and copies in the envelope.
STEP 5: What you must bring with you to Denmark
- Copy of your Birth Certificate
- Two Passport Photos