What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a Residence and Work Permit for Denmark.

How do I apply for the visa?

You must apply in-person at your closest Consulate General of Denmark or an approved processing center.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • United States Passport valid at least six months after your return, plus one copy of all pages including the front page
  • XG1 Application Form for Residence and Work Permit
  • Two Recent Color Passport-sized Photographs
  • One Copy of your Birth Certificate
  • Bank Statements (Please verify the amount for AFS Exchange students with your Consulate)
  • Processing Fees
  • You will also receive additional required documents from AFS-USA and AFS-Denmark necessary for applying for your visa.

When do I apply for the visa?

You must submit your entire visa application and required documentation to AFS at least three months prior to your departure date.

How much will the visa cost?

Fees are subject to change. There is a processing fee of $259 which you are responsible for paying to the Danish Consulate. Fees are subject to change.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in obtaining the required documents. There may also be additional costs associated with traveling to the Consulate for an in-person appointment.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program tuition?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States three months prior to your program. As stated, obtaining a permit takes time and your passport will be required. If you travel before the start of your program and do not allow enough time to procure your permit, you will run the risk of not being able to participate on your program.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.