What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a Temporary Residence Permit/Visa for Studies-Minor for South Africa

How do I apply for the visa?

You must apply for your permit through the Consulate Office of the South African Embassy. You will be required to submit your passport and all additional required documents to the Embassy in person. Your passport with the permit inside of it will be mailed back to you before your departure.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • United States Passport valid for at least six months after your return
  • Visa Application Form
  • Passport-sized Photographs
  • Proof of Residence (school ID)
  • Birth Certificate
  • Proof of Financial Means
  • Parental Consent Form
  • Documents that will be mailed to you from AFS-USA and AFS-South Africa
  • Additional documents may be required by your consulate, including a radiological report/chest x-ray, money order, nad a police report.

When do I apply for the visa?

You must apply in-person for your visa 4-6 weeks before departure.

How much will the visa cost?

The visa application process is around $32. This fee is subject to change.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in the visa process. Please budget funds for: notarizing the required documents and also for any additional costs that may be associated with traveling to the Consulate for an in-person appointment.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program tuition?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States two months prior to your program. If you travel before the start of your program, you will run the risk of not being able to participate on your program. Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.