Submitted by: Paula A.
Recipe Source Country: Argentina
Cooking/Prep time: > 1 hr
We really enjoyed making empanadas, as it was a good way to look into another culture and make some delicious new foods. My daughter’s favorite part was folding the dough as you were able to make fun designs around the perimeter of the empanadas. We even listened to Argentinian music while making them, which was a fun way to celebrate the culture.
Makes enough for 12 pastries.
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 oz organic ground beef
- 4 oz Chorizo Sausage
- 1 onion minced
- 2 bell peppers (Green, red)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- Mix all dough ingredients and put in the fridge to cool for 1 hour.
- Prepare the meat in a skillet with a little olive oil.
- Slightly undercook meat in the skillet as you will be baking inside of the dough.
- Wrap meat inside the dough.
- Spray cooking sheet with oil.
- Bake 350 for 20 minutes.