AFS-USA Host Family Handbook
Country Specific Handbooks for Host Families
Information for Hosted Students
- Medical Claims 101 (PDF)
- AFS Medical Pamphlet 2019-20 Inbound/Outbound Participants (PDF)
- AFS Medical Pamphlet 2020-21 Inbound Participants (PDF)
- Medical Claim Form (PDF)
AFS uses the services of a third party administrator, GMMI, to review and process medical claims. Claim forms need to be printed, signed, and then scanned and mailed/emailed to GMMI. All medical bills should be submitted to them for payment unless otherwise instructed.
Using a service provider who is in the GMMI network can help host families and/or volunteers avoid requests for payment up-front. This is also beneficial in expediting payment and avoiding balance billing (see below for more on balance billing).
To locate a network provider in your area:
- Go to the GMMI website.
- Log in using the Username: AFS and Password: AFS
- Scroll to the bottom to find the button for the Provider Search.
To find a Provider:
- enter a provider name to find out if s/he is in the network
- enter the your city and state or zip code to find a list of network providers in your area
- search providers by specialty
The address of GMMI is:
Global Medical Management Inc. (GMMI)
880 SW 145th Avenue, Suite 400
Pembroke Pines, FL 33027, USA
Phone No. (888) 444-7773 (OK to call 24 hrs/day, 7 days/wk)
Fax No. 1-954-370-8130
Email: [email protected]
Host Family Tax Deduction
Host families may claim a tax deduction of $50 per calendar month (15 days or more) for the time period in which you hosted your AFS student. This amount should be included on Schedule A of your Federal Income Tax return under Charitable Contributions, “Deductions other than cash” naming AFS-USA, Inc. and annotating the entry “Sec. 170(g) deduction”. This deduction only applies to those families who itemize rather than using the Standard Deduction.