Kosovar Culture

Located in Southeastern Europe, Kosovo is slightly larger than the state of Delaware. Its landscape consists of broad plains, hills, and mountains. Kosovo is known for its incredible hiking opportunities and quaint mountain towns. About 93 percent of Kosovo’s population is ethnic Albanian. The other 7 percent includes Bosniaks, Serbs, Turks, Ashkali, Egyptians, Gorani, and Roma. Many Kosovar Albanians value besa, which roughly translates as “trust,” and manifests as a general sense of responsibility and hospitality.

Host a Kosovar student in the U.S.

Kosovar People and Community

Family is an extremely important part of Kosovars lives. Families have an average of two children, but families in rural areas may have more. Children tend to live with their parents until they’re financially independent. Girls tend to help their mothers with domestic duties, while boys often help their fathers with external repairs and gardening. While today’s Kosovar families experience greater equality between men and women, patriarchal structures still exist in rural areas.

Language and Communication Styles

The official languages of Kosovo are Albanian and Serbian.

Food in Kosovo

Staple foods in Kosovo include potatoes, rice, beans, and pasta. Meat is usually grilled and served with side dishes of stewed potatoes and vegetables. Popular meats include chicken, beef, and lamb. Popular vegetables include tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and onions. Ҫorbë (Albanian goulash with beans, cabbage, potatoes, and other vegetables) is one of the most common national dishes. Another common dish is byrek, a pie made of phyllo dough layered with a filling of spinach, feta cheese, leeks, cabbage, and pumpkin.