AFS-USA’s Steinbeck Coast Region is home to a vast, decades-long, community of AFS students, volunteers, host families and educators committed to the idea that intercultural learning is an extraordinary path to a more just and peaceful world.
AFS USA Steinbeck Coast has been transforming lives through international exchanges in the Monterey Bay Area and the inland valleys of San Benito, Monterey and Santa Cruz counties since the 70’s.
Scattered throughout our area you will meet hundreds of people who have hosted a student, gone abroad and/or volunteered with AFS.
Open Volunteer Positions
AFS USA Mission
AFS USA Steinbeck Coast Volunteer Team
Want more information about becoming a volunteer?
WHAT WE DO
1 – We Serve Students and Family Participants
- Guide them through the application process
- Interview and assess for readiness and fit
- Share information about AFS programs
- Share our positive experiences of AFS
- Organize regular orientations for the students and families
- Support them through the more difficult moments
- Offer them monthly check-ins
2 – We Grow Our Capacity
- Generate interest through publicity and word of mouth
- Participate in events like fairs and markets
- Increase the number of participants and volunteers each year
3 – We Take Care of Our Team
- Recruit and Train New Volunteers
- Honor and acknowledge veteran volunteers
- Participate in trainings
- Manage our organization: meetings, elections, goal setting
- Take leadership roles
- Manage our finances
Life of the Organization
We meet monthly alternating face to face and conference call meetings.
We function in groups based on location:
- North SC County
- Salinas-Watsonville-Salinas Valley, and
- Gilroy-Hollister-Morgan HIll.