Studying abroad in 2017?
Get started today by joining the Sponsor an AFSer program!
Sponsor an AFSer is an online fundraising tool provided by AFS to allow individuals to make easy and secure contributions to your AFS program fee. AFS handles all of the details, so after setting up your widget all you have to do is go out and find people who want to help you reach your goal! To learn more about this program, please read the Sponsor an AFSer frequently asked questions.
If you think you have what it takes to raise money through Sponsor an AFSer, follow the steps below to create your personalized fundraising widget. Click each step to learn more.
1. Create a blog.
Launch a free blog using Blogger. Make sure to select the "Simple" template, or else the widget may not show up on your blog. We strongly encourage you to choose a blog template with a light-colored background. Your AFS-USA widget has a white border and will look the best against a light background.
For your first blog entry, your post (at least 3 paragraphs) should reflect who you are and answer all of the questions below. Be sure to consider your audience when writing your post(s). People other than just your friends will be reading your blog, so you will want to write in a clear, professional manner that demonstrates why supporting your goal to study abroad is a good investment. Here's a great example blog.
Answer the following questions in your first blog post:
- Who are you?
- Why do you want to go abroad?
- What do you expect to gain from the experience?
- How/what will you give in return for someone's contribution?
- Why do you need help funding your AFS experience?
- What have you already done, and what are you planning to do, to contribute to your fundraising efforts?
- What is the Sponsor an AFSer program? Copy and paste the following directly on to your blog: Sponsor an AFSer is an online fundraising tool provided by AFS-USA to allow potential contributors to make easy, secure, and non tax-deductible contributions to my AFS program fee.
At the end of your blog entry, please include the text:
To sponsor my AFS program, please click the Donate Now button to make a non tax-deductible contribution directly to my AFS program account.
Make sure you show that you are working hard to make your AFS experience possible. It is also important to include a nice picture of yourself somewhere on your blog.
2. Email us your blog URL.
Send an email to email@example.com with:
- "Sponsor an AFSer blog" in the subject line
- Your blog URL
- Your first and last name.
Fundraising goals will automatically be set at $3,000 (students participating in Global Prep programs will be given a goal of $1,500). After sending an email to us with your blog URL, you will receive an email containing your unique widget code and instructions on how to place it on your blog.
Note: If you get within $500 dollars of your goal, we can raise your limit. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you need your fundraising goal increased!
3. Start promoting your blog and goal to study abroad!
Remember that with Sponsor an AFSer your results depend on how much effort you put into publicizing your blog and mobilizing sponsors. So work hard to get the word out! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Write an email appealing to your family, friends, dentist, elementary school teacher...you get the drift! Ask your parents to forward it to their contacts, too.
- Create a Facebook event to get out the word.
- Put a link on your personal blog or other social networking sites you use.
- Post a short "ad" about your blog through your high school newspaper or a bulletin board at your school, favorite coffee shop, or parent's work.
- Set-up a computer with your blog outside a library, grocery store, etc. (you'll need wireless for this, and permission from the business). Bring some AFS "props" (wear an AFS t-shirt, have a book and snacks from the country you're going to, etc).
- Ask your parents or grandparents if they will match every dollar you raise through your AFS blog.
- Need some more ideas? Check out our Top Fundraising Ideas at the bottom of the fundraising page.