What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a Visa for Turkey.

How do I apply for the visa?

You will send your passport and additional documents to AFS-USA prior to departure and AFS-USA will apply for the visa on your behalf. Your passport with the visa in it will be returned to you at the time of your departure. After arrival, you will be required to apply for a Residence Permit.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

1. United States Passport valid for at least six months after your return
2. Visa Application Form
3. Passport-sized Photographs
4. Parental Consent Form (Who needs to sign?)
5. Birth Certificate
6. School transcriptsRequirements may vary between Consulates.
Additional documents may be required. Do not begin the visa process until you are notified by AFS.

When do I apply for the visa?

AFS-USA must receive your passport, additional documents, and visa fee approximately four months before departure.

How much will the visa cost?

The visa will cost USD $60 and the Residence Permit costs an additional USD $120. In order to extend your visa in Turkey, additional documents will be required.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are many additional costs involved in obtaining, notarizing, translating, legalizing, and mailing the required documents.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program tuition?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Need more clarification on visa-related questions?

Check out the General Visa FAQs