What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a Student Residence Permit.

How do I apply for the Residence Permit?

Students under the age of 18 should apply via mail. Students over the age of 18 can apply online. However, students over 18 may be required to ship your documents to the Consulate General or Embassy of Sweden that has jurisdiction over your state.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the Residence Permit?

  •  A list of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.
    *You will also need to contact your consulate for a finalized list of requirements.

When do I apply for the Residence Permit?

You will be able to apply for the Residence Permit after you receive an Invitation Letter from AFS-Sweden. We often receive this letter sometime in early May. Once the Residence Permit is processed, you will receive it in a pdf confirmation to the email address you provided. Please print your confirmation and bring it with you to Sweden.

*Currently, our students are allowed to bring their printed confirmations to Sweden and then have their biometrics recorded after arrival. Biometrics are needed to obtain the actual Residence Permit Card. However, if there is a change in policy, you may be required to appear at the Embassy of Sweden in Washington, D.C. approximately one month before departure.*

How much will the Residence Permit Fee cost?

The embassy charges a non-refundable application fee of $60 for students under the age of 18 and $120 for students 18 and older. Please verify the cost before paying, as fees are subject to change due to fluctuating currencies and other factors.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in obtaining and notarizing the required documents. There may be travel expenses.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your Residence Permit.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

Although you must be in your home community for the Pre-Departure Orientation, obtaining the Residence Permit will not place any limitations on your travel.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.