What type of visa do I need?

With the help of AFS Serbia and your host family, you will obtain a temporary residence permit after you arrive in Serbia.

How do I apply for the Residence Permit?

You will apply for a temporary residence permit at the Immigration Department in Serbia shortly after your arrival.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the Residence Permit?

  • United States passport, valid for at least six months after your return
  • Two passport-sized photographs
  • Parental Consent Form (Who Needs to Sign?)

Additional documents may be required. Document requirements change often, in accordance with Serbian immigration law and visa policies.

How much will the visa cost?

The Residence Permit costs around $175 USD. While applying for the permit, students should pay this amount in cash in RSD (Serbian currency). Currency can be exchanged in Serbia or withdrawn from ATMs.

Is the Residence Permit fee covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

Although you must be in your home community for the Pre-Departure Orientation, obtaining the Residence Permit will not place any limitations on your travel.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.