What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a Single Entry Student Visa for Minors.

How do I apply for the visa?

You must apply for your visa through ILS, a visa processing agency contracted by the Russian Government. You will apply for your visa either by mail or in person.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • United States Passport, valid for at least six months after your return
  • Visa Application Form
  • 4 Passport-sized Photographs
  • Money Orders for your Visa Processing Fee
  • Copy of your Birth Certificate
  • HIV Negative Exam Results
  • Parental Consent Form (Who needs to sign?)
  • Documents that will be mailed to you from AFS-USA and AFS-Russia

Additional documents may be required. Document requirements change often, in accordance with Russian immigration law and visa policies.

When do I apply for the visa?

You will apply for your visa in late July after you receive important documents from AFS.

How much will the visa cost?

Visa fees are subject to change. You will need to confirm the current fee with ILS.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in the visa process. You will need to budget additional funds for legalizing documents, mailing applications materials, doctor’s visits, etc.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program tuition?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States two months prior to your program. If you travel before the start of your program, you will run the risk of not being able to participate in your program.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.