What type of visa do I need?

You will need to obtain a Multiple Entry Type D visa to Poland. You will be required to obtain a residence permit after arrival.

How do I apply for the visa?

Depending on the rules of the Consulate General or Embassy of Poland that has jurisdiction over your state, you will be required to apply in person or mail your application.

Your visa should be valid for 1-3 months. Then, after your arrival, AFS-Poland staff and volunteers will assist you with obtaining your Residence Permit. The Residence Permit will be valid and enable you to remain in Poland for the duration of your program.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • A listed of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.

Additional documents may be required. Do not begin collecting your documents until you are notified by AFS.

When do I apply for the visa?

You will apply by mail 4-6 weeks prior to departure.

How much will the visa cost?

You will need to confirm the visa fee with your consulate or embassy. There are many additional costs involved in obtaining, notarizing and legalizing the required documents.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

AFS recommends that you not plan any travel outside of the United States during the 2 months before your program departs. Obtaining a visa takes time and your passport is usually required for this. Should you choose to travel within the four weeks before the start of your program and not allow enough time to procure your visa, you will run the risk of jeopardizing your travel arrangements.