What type of visa do I need?

You will be obtaining a Tourist Visa Upon Arrival in Peru. Then, if your program lasts longer than 180 days, you will apply for a residence permit. AFS Peru’s staff and volunteers will assist you in completing both requirements.

How do I apply for the visa?

You will be allowed to enter Peru under tourist status and will be granted a 180 day Tourist Visa at the airport in Lima. Shortly afterwards, AFS Peru will assist you in acquiring a student visa and a possible visa extension. You will be required to bring additional documents and the appropriate fees with you to Peru.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  •  A list of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.

How much will the visa cost?

The visa fee will cost $250 USD at time of arrival. This is subject to change.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in obtaining, notarizing,legalizing and mailing the required documents.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program tuition?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

Although you must be in your home community for the Pre-Departure Orientation, obtaining the visa / residence permit will not place any limitations on your travel.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.