What type of visa do I need?

You will not need to apply for a visa.  You will need to apply for a residence permit after entering the country.

How do I apply for the Residence Permit?

AFS Panama will aid you in applying for your Residence Permit after entering the country.

What documents will I need to collect?

  • Passport, valid for at least six months after your return
  • 8 Passport-sized Photographs
  • Apostilled Police Report (18+ students)
  • Apostilled Parental Consent Form (-18 students)
  • Parent / Guardian IDs
  • Transcripts
  • Additional documents may be required, per AFS staff instructions.

When do I apply for the Residence Permit?

You must apply in-person after entering the country.

How much will the Residence Permit cost?

The Residence Permit costs approximately $350 US. This fee is subject to change.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in the Residence Permit process. Please budget funds for apostilling the required documents and for any additional costs that may be associated.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or residence permit.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

Although you must be in your home community for the Pre-Departure Orientation, obtaining the Residence Permit will not place any limitations on your travel.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.