What type of visa do I need?
You will be applying for a Student Visa for New Zealand.
How do I apply for the visa?
You must send your passport and additional documents to AFS USA prior to departure, and AFS will apply for the visa on your behalf. Your passport and visa will be returned to you at your Gateway Orientation.
What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?
- Passport, valid for at least six months after your return
- Visa Application Form
- Passport-sized Photographs
- Notarized Parental Consent Form with attached IDs
- Certified Birth Certificate Copy
- Chest X-ray Certificate (if required)
Additional documents may be required. Do not begin collecting these documents until notified by AFS.
When do I apply for the visa?
AFS USA will apply for your visa once we receive additional support documents from AFS New Zealand. The receipt of these documents determines when we can apply for your visa on your behalf. We ask all students to mail their passport and required documents to the AFS USA office by mid-December.
How much will the visa cost?
- US citizens are not required to pay a visa fee.
- The visa cost for non-US citizens is $262.
- All applicants must pay a $67 service and courier fee, regardless of their citizenship.
- These fees are subject to change at any time.
Are there any other expected costs?
There are many additional costs involved in obtaining, notarizing, and mailing the required documents.
Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program tuition?
No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.
Can I travel before the start of my program?
You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States three months prior to your program. As stated, obtaining a visa takes time and your passport will be required. If you travel before the start of your program and do not allow enough time for AFS to procure your visa, you will run the risk of not being able to participate on your program.