What type of travel document do I need?

It is not necessary to obtain a visa for entry into the Netherlands. You will receive your Residence Permit after arrival.

How do I apply for the residence permit?

You will receive your residence permit upon arrival in the Netherlands. AFS Netherlands will apply for your residence permit on your behalf in advance of your arrival. In order to do this, there are certain documents that AFS Netherlands will need to start the residence permit process. These documents must be emailed to AFS-USA.

Depending upon the local immigration authorities of your host community, you may also need to undergo a medical physical and a TB test. This test should be free of charge.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the residence permit?

  • A list of required documents will be given to you by your visa specialist.

How much will the visa residence permit?

The residence permit processing fee is currently $760 and must be paid prior to your departure. AFS Netherlands has paid this fee in advance, so you will be invoiced for this fee prior to your departure.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in obtaining, notarizing, and legalizing the required documents.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or residence permit.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States in the four weeks prior to your program in the case that there should be changes to the visa/residence permit process. Dutch Immigration Authorities do not permit AFS students to stay in the Netherlands after program end or to travel to/through other European countries after the program has ended.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.