What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a National (Type D) Student Visa.

How do I apply for the visa?

You must apply for your visa in person at the Italian Consulate General which has jurisdiction over your state. If you live far from the Consulate General, please contact the Honorary Consulate in your jurisdiction to ask if you are permitted to have an “interview” with the Honorary Consulate and then mail your visa documents to the Consulate General.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • A list of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.
    *You will also need to contact your consulate for a finalized list of requirements.

When do I apply for the visa?

You must apply in-person for your visa 4-6 weeks before departure. When you can apply is based on when you receive your host family and host school documents from AFS Italy. AFS USA will mail these documents to your home as soon as we have received them in our office.

How much will the visa cost?

You will need to ask your consulate. Fees are subject to change.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in the visa process. Please budget funds for notarizing documents and for any additional costs that may be associated with traveling to the consulate for an in-person appointment.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States three months prior to your program. If you travel before the start of your program, you will run the risk of not being able to participate in your program.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.