India Semester and Year Visa FAQ

Semester and Year Visa FAQ

Back to Country Overview

What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a Multiple Entry Student Visa for India..

How do I apply for the visa?

The Indian Embassy in the United States has outsourced their visa processing to a national visa processing agency, called Cox and Kings. You will be required to apply for your visa through this company, at the office location that has jurisdiction over your state. After registering your intent to apply for a visa with the company, you will have the option to mailing or personally drop-off your passport and required documents. Once the processing agency has approved the visa, it will be passed to the nearest Consulate General of India for approval. After your arrival in India, depending on local policies, you may be required to register at the Foreigner’s Registration Office.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • United States Passport valid for at least six months after your return
  • Visa Application Form
  • Passport-sized Photographs
  • Copy of your parents' Passports (both parents require a passport)
  • Copy of Birth Certificate
  • Proof of Address
  • There will likely be additional requirements based on your method of application and consulate you apply through
  • You will also receive additional documents from AFS-USA and AFS-India necessary for applying for your visa.

Requirements may vary between Consulates. Additional documents may be required. Do not begin collecting these documents until notified by AFS

When do I apply for the visa?

You must apply for your visa as soon as you receive your visa support documents from AFS India.

How much will the visa cost?

There are fees associated with the consulate and with the Cox and Kings visa processing agency. You will need to confirm your visa fee with them. 

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States two months prior to your program. Obtaining a visa and authenticating your documents takes time and your passport will be required. If you travel before the start of your program and do not allow enough time for AFS to procure your visa, you will run the risk of departing late or not being able to participate on your program.

Need more clarification on visa-related questions? Check out the General Visa FAQs.

IMPORTANT: Do not begin the visa application process until you are notified by AFS.

The information above is a general overview of your expected student visa or residence permit application process. The laws, fees, document requirements, and processes are subject to change at any time.

Additional student visa / residence permit application information and support will be posted as soon as it is available for your specific departure cycle. You will be notified by email as detailed support materials are posted for your program.

The visa application process, including requirements and fees, are determined by the government of your host country and are subject to change. AFS will support you as you apply for your travel documents but ultimately it is your responsibility to obtain legal permission to live and study abroad.

Fees and requirements are determined by each country’s immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.