What type of visa do I need?

You will need to apply for a Student Resident Permit to study in Hungary.

How do I apply for the visa?

You will apply for your visa after you arrive in Hungary with the help of AFS Hungary.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • A list of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.
    *You will also need to contact your consulate for a finalized list of requirements.

How much will the visa cost?

The Residence Permit will cost around $65 USD. Fees are subject to change.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in obtaining and notarizing the required documents.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any travel outside of the United States during the one month period before your program departs. Should you choose to travel within the one month before the start of your program and not allow enough time to procure your visa, you run the risk of departing late or not at all.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.