What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a Hong Kong Study Visa for Minors.

How do I apply for the visa?

You will send a packet of required documents to AFS-USA prior to departure and AFS Hong Kong will apply for the visa on your behalf. Before departure, AFS Hong Kong will mail you a visa label to put in your passport that will be required for your entry and stay in Hong Kong.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • A listed of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.
    *You will also need to contact your consulate for a finalized list of requirements.

When do I apply for the visa?

AFS must receive your documents approximately two months before departure.

How much will the visa cost?

The visa fee to be paid to AFS Hong Kong is USD $75. This will be charged to your student account.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in obtaining, notarizing, and mailing the required documents.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program tuition?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

Although you must be in your home community for the Pre-Departure Orientation, obtaining the visa will not place any limitations on your travel.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.