What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a Student X Visa to stay and study China.

  • If your program is longer than 180 days, you will apply for a X1 Visa.
  • If your program is less than 180 days, you will apply for a X2 Visa.

How do I apply for the visa?

All students may apply in-person at the Consulate General or Embassy of China that has jurisdiction over their state. We recommend utilizing a visa processing service (CVSC), which may be able to submit your application to your consulate on your behalf.

What documents will I need to collect in order to complete the Visa Application?

  • A listed of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.
  • We recommend using China Visa Service Center to process your visa application. You can start reviewing some of the requirements on their webpage here.

Requirements may vary between consulates. Additional documents may be required. 

When do I apply for the visa?

AFS-USA will notify you when it is time to apply for your visa. Generally, this process starts in the Spring.

How much will the visa cost?

Visa fees vary. You will need to contact the Chinese Embassy, Consulate or CVSC to confirm the fee for your visa. There are additional costs associated with obtaining, notarizing, and mailing the required documents.

*Fees are subject to change at any time.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States three months prior to your program. As stated, obtaining a visa takes time and your passport will be required.