What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a Temporary Student Visa.

How do I apply for the visa?

You must apply for your visa through the Chilean Consulate which has jurisdiction over your state. You will be required to apply through your consulate’s online portal, then go to the consulate in person for a consular interview and at the same time pick up your visa.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

A list of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.
*You will also need to contact your consulate for a finalized list of requirements.

When do I apply for the visa?

You must send your prepared documents or apply in-person for your visa one month before departure.

How much will the visa cost?

This fee is currently $160 USD but is subject to change at any time.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are many additional costs involved in obtaining, translating, notarizing, legalizing, or mailing the required documents. There are also additional costs associated with traveling to the consulate for an in-person appointment.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

AFS recommends that you not plan any travel during the three months before your program departs. Obtaining a visa takes time, and your passport is usually required for this. Should you choose to travel within the three months before the start of your program and not allow enough time to procure your visa, you will run the risk of jeopardizing your travel arrangements.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.