What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for a Temporary Visa Type IV, also called VITEM-IV Visa, for Brazil.

How do I apply for the visa?

You must apply for your visa through the Consulate General of Brazil that has jurisdiction over your residential state. Depending on the consulate overseeing your jurisdiction, you will either have to apply in-person with your passport and additional required documents, apply online or you may have a third party submit your application to the consulate. Please research the directions for your respective consulate before applying.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • A listed of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.
    *You will also need to contact your consulate for a finalized list of requirements.

When do I apply for the visa?

Usually, AFS students apply in-person for their visas after submitting an online application. In some cases, you may be able to apply solely online or have a third party submit your visa application on your behalf. Please contact the Brazilian Embassy or Consulate that has jurisdiction over your state for guidance.

***It is very important that you apply for your visa as soon as you receive your visa support documents from AFS Brazil.

How much will the visa cost?

The visa processing fee for an exchange student is currently $190 USD. Some of your documents will have to be legalized by the consulate and they will charge an additional fee.

*Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are additional costs involved in obtaining, translating, notarizing, apostilling, or mailing the required documents. There may also be additional costs associated with traveling to the Consulate for an in-person appointment.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States 2 months prior to your program. As stated, obtaining a visa takes time and your passport will be required. If you travel before the start of your program and do not allow enough time for AFS to procure your visa, you will run the risk of not being able to participate on your program.