Year Visa FAQ

What type of visa do I need?

You are not required to apply for a visa for a study program in Austria. You will be required to obtain a Residence Permit after you arrive in-country.

How do I apply for the residence permit?

After arrival, AFS Austria will help you obtain your residence permit (which involves registering at the local Registration Authority in your host community).

What documents will I need to bring with me to Austria in order to apply for the residence permit?

  • A listed of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.

How much will the Residence Permit cost?

The Residence Permit fee is usually between €150-200 and must be paid in Austria.

Are there any other expected costs?

There are many additional costs involved in obtaining, translating, notarizing, and legalizing the required documents.

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

Although you must be in your home community for the Pre-Departure Orientation, obtaining the Residence Permit will not place any limitations on your travel.

Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.