What type of visa do I need?

You will be applying for an Austria National Visa – Visa D.

How do I apply for the visa?

You will need to obtain your visa by bringing your passport and other required documents to the Consulate General/Embassy of Austria that has jurisdiction over your state. Consulate Generals are located Los Angeles, New York and Washington DC.

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • A list of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.

When do I apply for the visa?

You must apply in-person with your required documents at the VFS Global Center, Consulate General or Embassy of Austria with jurisdiction over your state. This will be between 4 to 5 weeks before your planned departure.

How much will the visa cost?

The visa processing fee is currently around $171 USD. You will need to verify this amount with your consulate.

*Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.

Are there any other expected costs?

In addition to the visa fee, please budget funds for legalizing documents and the cost of applying in-person at the consualte (airfare, hotel, etc).

Are any of these costs covered in my AFS program fee?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States 2 months prior to your program. If you travel before the start of your program, you will run the risk of not being able to depart for your program on time.