What type of visa do I need?

You are required to obtain a Student Subclass 500 Visa for study puropses.

How do I apply for the visa?

You will apply for the visa online. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/500- 

What documents will I need to collect in order to apply for the visa?

  • A listed of required documents will be sent to you by your Visa and Compliance Specialist.

When do I apply for the visa?

You will need to apply for your visa about 2 months before departing on program. Please apply as soon as you have received documents from AFS-USA and AFS-Australia.

How much will the visa cost?

Currently, there is no fee for students.

*Fees and requirements are determined by immigration authorities and are subject to change at any time.

Is this cost covered in my AFS program tuition?

No, your program fee does not cover any of the costs related to obtaining your passport or visa.

Can I travel before the start of my program?

You should not plan any excursions outside of the United States three months prior to your program as your passport information is being examined by Immigration in Australia.