What is International Education Week?
International Education Week (IEW), is an initiative led by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange. It is observed in more than 100 countries worldwide every November. This year, IEW will be held November 15-19, 2021.
All CBYX, FLEX, and YES students are required to conduct at least one IEW presentation sharing their home country and culture and report the presentation(s) via an online form. The link to the online form will be sent via email leading up to IEW. We will also provide the link on this webpage once it becomes available.
Each student who conducts at least one IEW presentation (as required) and reports the presentation will receive a student certificate of appreciation from ECA for successfully participating in IEW.
Follow these steps to make an impact (and maybe even win a prize!) during International Education Week (IEW):
- STEP 1: Ask your teachers if you can give a cultural presentation in their classes during IEW (November 15-19, 2021). You can also print this page to help you explain your presentation, and use this page to promote the outbound ECA programs.
- STEP 2: Download this PowerPoint Presentation Template to fill in with details about your culture and experiences. Add lots of pictures! Be sure to read the notes below each slide for presenting tips.
- STEP 3: Conduct your presentation(s)!
- STEP 4: After your presentation(s), tell us what you did! Log your presentations via program specific online forms which will be sent to you from American Councils and AFS-USA leading up to IEW. You can also access your program-specific form by clicking one of these link: CBYX, FLEX, YES.
**Completion of your program’s online form is mandatory for all CBYX, FLEX and YES students.**
- STEP 5: If you would like, you can also enter the AFS IEW contest to win a Polaroid camera or other prizes. See full details and find the contest submission form on this webpage (deadline November 30, 2021)! Please remember that this survey does not replace the survey emailed to you by American Councils.
- STEP 6: Share photos on social media using #passpeaceforward and your specific program tag: #YESisIEW and #KLYES ; #FLEXisIEW and #FLEXprogram ; #CBYXisIEW #CBYXppp
Social Photo Contest
- STEP 1: Take a photo at school during International Education Week! Get a group shot with your presentation audience, or snap a pic with a favorite teacher or classmate!
- STEP 2: Post it on Instagram! Tag @afs_usa in the photo and use #passpeaceforward and either #KLYES #FLEXprogram or #CBYXppp in your caption, depending on your program.
- STEP 3: We’ll be reposting your photos throughout the week! We’ll choose three favorites and DM the winners’ accounts on Instagram. The three winners will each receive an AFS water bottle! Additional prizes may be announced during the contest.
Spread the word about each ECA program bringing students to the U.S. and sending Americans abroad
You might not realize it yet, but trust us: you’re already making a huge impact in your host community. You can make an even larger impact through your delivery of IEW presentations. Thank you in advance for sharing your culture and being a part of our ever-growing global family through IEW!