Lebanon

Fishing in one of the historical coast villages in Saida. Photo by Lebanon Ministry of Tourism.

YES Students

All students from Lebanon are Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Program scholarship winners. Click here to learn more about the YES Program.

Country Information


Lebanon has coined itself as “Switzerland of the Middle East.” The title is thanks to their great snow covered mountains for skiing and the great banking sector the country once had. Since 2005 the country has lost its title and is trying to recreate itself again.

Lifestyle and Family


Extended family is everything. Just like a nuclear family, the extended family has a close relationship with one another. They sometimes even live with each other in one house. There is a clear power order in a Lebanese family, father and sons having more power than women. Men work and make money while the women care for the family and sometimes go and work, depending on the family’s money situation.

Teen Life and Sports


Visits to friends and family are frequent and are seen as a way to maintain friendships. When they are not socializing, teens are either playing a sport, traveling, or at the cinema. Soccer right now is very popular and in the winter many people go skiing. Traveling with families to nearby countries or within Lebanon is very common.

Diet


Meals in Lebanon usually are meat stews, the most famous being meza. When eating the meza, dinner will take about four to five hours. The dish is passed around and small portions are served on everyone’s plate. There are a few vegetarian dishes, but majority of the dishes include meat.

Language and Religion


The official language of Lebanon is Arabic. 60% of Lebanese are Muslim and the other 40% are Christians.



Apply Now