- Sends approximately 1,100 participants abroad.
- Welcomes 2,300 international high school exchange students into the US.
- Is supported by more than 4,000 volunteers in the US who make the work of AFS possible.
- Partners with 2,100 US schools through hosting and sending.
The AFS International Network
AFS is a worldwide, nonprofit organization that has been leading international high school student exchange for nearly seven decades. The AFS network:
- Exchanges almost 13,000 individuals each year.
- Has more than 50 partner organizations including AFS-USA.
- Maintains an alumni network of more than 424,000 individuals who have studied abroad on an AFS Program.
- Is supported by more than 44,000 AFS Volunteers worldwide.
Hosting an Exchange Student with AFS-USA
- AFS-USA staff and volunteers work with 1,500 US schools to provide them with outstanding students from abroad who contribute greatly to academic and community life.
- Volunteers work with students, families, schools, and community organizations to illustrate the benefits of an intercultural educational opportunity.
- Host families provide students with a bed, meals, and the same care they give to their own family members. Host families and students receive ongoing support during the process from AFS-USA staff and volunteers.
Studying Abroad with AFS-USA
- AFS-USA has year, semester, and summer programs abroad for high school students ages 15-18.
- Gap Year programs are geared specifically for high school graduates and individuals over 18 who are interested in making a difference through international community service or university programs.
- A language requirement is not necessary for most AFS-USA programs.